TOP 5 STEM gifts for the Aspiring Coder
# 1: BLOXELS
- Get into the game -hands-on video game development -with Bloxels video game creation platform!
- Build your video games with a mix of physical and digital tools that include designs to help get you started creating your first game
- The Bloxels Builder app is free to download to your compatible device (not included)
- Create game rooms, characters and game art using the 13” x 13” Gameboard and 320 blocks in eight different colors
- When creating game rooms, each color in your design represents a different element, like green for terrain, blue for water or red for a hazard. When working on art, the color blocks represent the pixel art
- Fun for all ages. Under 8 may need a parent to help.
- There is even a new STAW WARS Version (Bloxels Star Wars Build Your Own Video Game) which is slightly more expensive but a must if your child is an aspiring Jedi Knight.
- Code your gauntlet to unleash 10 authentic Avengers sound effects or record your own hero battle cry.
- Includes everything kids need to build and customize an interactive electronic Superhero gauntlet: electronic building blocks, LED Matrix, authentic Marvel sound effects bit, plastic pieces, stickers and battery.
- Unlock hours and hours of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, math) learning with over 18 activities for Superhero kids to build, play and code.
- Creative kids bring their imagination to life by personalizing their interactive Superhero gear with included sticker sheets and household items.
- No grown-ups necessary: in-app step by step video instructions and troubleshooting guide kids through fun missions like stealth mode, speed Tracker, Superhero voice, and animator creator.
- An easy introduction to coding through block-based coding with activities to advance through programming fundamentals like loops and logic.
- Requires smart device: iPhone (iOS 10.0 or later) or Android (5.0 or later) is required to build and control your Avengers gear. Amazon devices not compatible at this time.
- Built for the toughest kids. Each gauntlet comes with new and improved locks and gauntlet cover to keep circuits secure. Every littleBits kit is protected by a 30 day warranty and customer support.
Sometimes nothing beats a good book on a subject. In this case, the book is a great way to help anyone Become a super-coder and create your very own computer games using Scratch—a free software developed by MIT. With its easy-to-follow, illustrated step-by-step instructions, this book will teach you key concepts—like drawing shapes—so you can code your own games. By the end, any kid will be able to make 20 popular games, from Snake to Brick Bouncer
For those of you guys who bought an Osmo last Holiday Season, you may be looking for ways to expand how your Little STEM scientist uses it. This coding kit is the perfect addition.
- With Osmo coding Jam, place tangible blocks into patterns and sequences (coding), to enter exciting way-out worlds, where characters can be controlled, along with music they perform, to rock the house. Stand your iPad in your Osmo base,* download the coding Jam app, and let the learning begin and music play!
- Create and layer melodies, drum beats, and more while building original compositions with fun characters from different worlds.
- Combine unique coding blocks into sequences & patterns to make your beat come alive.
- Place unique coding blocks into sequences, patterns and subroutines, (don’t worry, they’ll get it) and click, clack, twist and turn, and they’ll have their own music hit.
- A great introduction to the concepts of coding, specifically developed kids ages 5 to 12.
- Inspired by over 50 years of University research, our Osmo coding blocks are a fun way to learn.
- Important: iPad and the Osmo play system are required to play. (Not included) compatible with iPad 2-6, iPad mini 1-4, iPad air 1-2, iPad pro 9.7 & 10.5 inch.
#5: Snap Circuits
There are many different snap circuit kits. While this is not a traditional coding toy, it is important for coders to have experience with both hardware and software. Usually, when coders are working with robots or other machines, circuits play a central role in their jobs. To get started, a good beginner kit is the Snap Circuit, Jr kit.
- BUILD WORKING CIRCUITS Build over 100 different electronics circuit projects with 30+ electronic components
- SUPPORTS a vigorous STEM / STEAM curriculum
- NO SOLDERING – NO TOOLS – IT’S A SNAP ~ Snap Modules require no tools and click together to ensure solid electrical connections
- LEARN BY DOING Build working models of a photo sensor, a flashing light, and an adjustable-volume siren. More than 100 exciting projects in all with included 30+ snap together parts
- DESIGN electrical circuits using the knowledge gained from building over 100 circuits found in the illustrated instruction manual
- AWARDS ~ Snap Circuits brand kits have received the following awards: The National Parenting Center-Seal of Approval, Dr. Toy 100 Best Children’s Products, Dr Toy Best Educational Products, STEM Approved
- SNAP CIRCUITS provide students ages 8+ with hands-on experience building models of working electrical circuits